Community Blog: How to keep creating when you're unsure of what's next

I’m actually writing this first community blog post - that I’ve been thinking about for quite awhile- and I’m so excited! My excitement for this is in two primary buckets: first, I love to write. I’m a writer at heart and come by it honestly as my grandfather, father, and sister are all writers. You could say it runs in the family! 

Secondly, I’m looking forward to the conversations we’ll have from these blog posts. I’m not here to wax poetic and give you a lot of really fancy verbiage. I’m here to engage with you on a level where we all relate deeply- as fellow creators in an ever-changing world. 

In fact, that’s what I’d like to talk about today- how to keep creating when you’re unsure of what’s next. 

Did that make you shiver a little? If so, I apologize. While I’m not trying to strike fear into the hearts of you, my fellow community friends, I am curious at how this looks in the creator economy as a whole. There are so many of us, all working on different and equally extraordinary things, all during a time that has been more stressful than anything else many of us have ever experienced in our lifetimes. 

How’s THAT for an opening thought?! 😳

The cliche anecdotal response here is that ‘we’re all in this together’... to which I sometimes I want to reply, ‘Yeah but does anyone know where we’re actually going?!” It’s great to know you’re not alone in something, but you know what’s better than that? Knowing that someone has an inkling of a direction as everyone is collectively moving forward. Sometimes we are given this gift, and sometimes we are not. 

So what do we do when we don’t necessarily see where things will land, but know in our deepest gut that we should keep pressing forward- keep creating no matter what? 

I certainly won’t pretend to have all of the answers. (That would be rather boring anyway.) Rather, I’ll share with you my favorite tools I return to each time I want to create something but am not sure of the direction, future, or even what I’m making for dinner. 

Tool #1: Time alone with a journal 

I guess you could say that my journal is the tool here, and devoting time to it is the how. Regardless, making time to sit with your thoughts, your desires, and your current anxieties is incredibly important when it comes to protecting your creativity. (And your overall sustainability as a human.) 

When we make time to just sit still, it’s amazing what will come up and out of us. Especially when we’re intentional about putting pen to paper. New ideas, solutions for problems, and a general calm will settle in- all because you’re not simply moving on to the next thing. The pause is powerful, friends. 

Tool #2: Something fun aka not working on a project 

I am a big believer in creating space for creativity. When you get to play, doing something that you really enjoy, it’s as if your brain and body relax in a way that allows you to rest and recover from the stressors of life. 

Another piece of this is getting out in nature. It’s tried and true, folks. Spending time in nature is physically,  mentally, and emotionally healing and sustaining for you. So pencil in some time today to do just this! 

Tool #3: Connecting with the important people 

I'm not referring to networking here. I'm talking about those most important to us as humans.

The reality of life is that when we are intentional about connecting with those who deeply matter to us, we’re healthier. We’re less prone to feeling anxious or sad, and because of our lightened state, we’re then able to return to our creative work (and menial tasks) with more gusto. Your people matter to your work as much - or more - as your work matters to your people. Be sure to remember your why- the relationships around you- and protect the time you have with them. Even if it’s a video chat or a phone call. Be sure to connect. 

Time for your thoughts!

Those are the top 3 tips that come to mind for me when I need to replenish my creative stores, disconnect to reconnect, and protect my long-term creative resilience. I want to hear from you now. 

What do you think about these? Do you agree or disagree? What tools would you add? 

7 replies