Successful Creators

I don't remember when I first heard Pomplamoose. I think it was way back in 2013 when Brian Ibbot played one of their covers on Coverville. A Gotye mashup I think. I lost track of them for a bit but they started appearing on my Twitter timeline and I almost always take a music break to listen.

Jack Conte (CEO and co-founder of Patreon) and his wife Nataly are Pomplamoose but they spend a lot of money on people to make what they do better. I just watched this video about how it began and their current People, Process, and Profits.

I took time away from my words to spend half an hour looking at what a successful creative team does. Key elements - they hire the expertise they need, they have a process. 

I've brought it here to share because I hits a lot of the same chords that CK does in terms of focusing on product, starting small, and growing. Yes, Jack Conte brought deep pockets and privilege to the table, too. Money makes a lot of things easier.

But the point to take away is that it doesn't take deep pockets and, while privilege can help, on the internet nobody knows you're a dog. Skill and knowledge imbue a privilege that can't be stolen but can be leveraged.

If you've got a half hour to be inspired, here's some grist for your dream mill. 

3 replies