Skip to main content
Question
forms
Shlomo Freund
I help remote workers organize their money to reach financial freedom faster
Asked a question 2 years ago

I have a 3rd party form on my website. I want to link to that form from a newsletter in convertkit. On that form I ask for the persons's email address. However, since the user is coming from convertkit newsletter I ALREADY know their email address. So, would like that to be auto filled and passed as a parameter to the form through the link. Is it possible? And if so, how do I do that? Thank you!

💡Make the most of your Community Member profile 

Share more about yourself! Click on your gravatar> profile > edit profile 

• About You tab:
    • Photo: upload a picture of yourself or your brand
    • About You: let other community members know a little about you as a person, a creator, and anything else you'd like to add
    • Banner: add an image of your creator brand, logo, or an image that inspires your creativity
  • Social Media tab:
    • Let other members know where they can find you and your brand across social media platforms. This is a great additional step to connect with other creators in the industry!
awogorm
WordPress Designer, Blogger, Infopreneur

You can set custom fields in ConvertKit to help request for same information from your subscribers during sign-ups. 

However, ConvertKit forms uses plain text for their forms and therefore might not serve a specific purpose like date of birth, or any date will serve as plain text.

Here's an article on how to create a custom field 

https://help.convertkit.com/en/articles/4000470-how-to-add-custom-fields-to-forms-landing-pages74

Hey @Shlomo Freund48, it's not currently possible to auto-populate ConvertKit form fields with URL parameters, but I can't speak for 3rd party forms' capabilities. 

In any case, if the subscriber is coming from a link in a ConvertKit email, you should be able to use the {{ subscriber.email63_address }} shortcode in the URL and that shortcode will automatically change into the email address of the recipient once the email is sent.

However, I'm not sure what URL format the 3rd party form would require to actually populate the form field, or if that's even possible — I'd suggest reaching out to your other form provider for more guidance on that part of things.

Of course, let us know if there's anything else we can help with from our end :)

Matthew M.
Owner - BuildThatWebsite.com

Hi Shlomo,

If you're still looking for a solution, I coded one for my own site using javascript. It's really simple to embed in any web page and it will automatically pull the email address from the query string in a URL.

The format I used was: yourdomain.com/page-name?subscriber=name@email.com44

You can find the code snippet and URL formatting in my answer46 to a related question.