Skip to main content
Shawn
Web Designer, Graphic Designer, Author, and Speaker
Asked a question 10 months ago

What's the single best bit of advice you've been given as an entrepreneur?

Where am I?

In ConvertKit you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

Build yourself up into a larger-than-life figure in the eyes of your target customers, so that they buy from you--even at high prices--because they like you and want to be like you.  Sell yourself first, sell your products and services second. 

Become a category of one.  Entrepreneurs who get paid for what they do will face fierce competition and price-slashing.  Entrepreneurs who get paid for who they are can price their offers as high as the market will bear and loyal fans will buy.  It's the closest thing to having the Midas touch where whatever they touch turns to gold.

You know you haven't made it if you ask customers why they bought from you, and they say, "Because you're the best value," "Your location is the closest to my house," and other logical reasons.

You know you made it when they say, "I bought it because it comes from you."  The more illogical the reason, the more passionate a fan they are.

There's a terrific New York Time article about this:

"Jimmy Buffett Does Not Live the Jimmy Buffett Lifestyle"

Pay attention to the section where the article breaks down the different aspects of Jimmy's lifestyle, and the related products and services that allow his fans to buy pieces of his lifestyle. 

Like tropical drinks?  He sells drink mixes you can make at home.  Like beach getaways? He sells vacation cruises in the Caribbean.  And so on.  

TC Headley
Brand Strategist, Divi Designer, Mac & Cheese Connoisseur

"Where you end up is a direct correlation of your effort, discipline, and sacrifice. So if you want to get somewhere else one of those needs to change" -Maya Elious in one of her emails.

Steve Miller
Kelly's Dad, Marketing Gunslinger

Look at what everyone else is doing and don't do it.

Shawn
Web Designer, Graphic Designer, Author, and Speaker

The best advise that helped me was "Write it down" and it will come to fruition.  I listened and everything start falling into place.  It was like the universe said "hey he now has a roadmap, let's give him what he desires" lol.  

Paris Hansch
Copywriter, Authorpreneur & Crazy Cat Lady

Learn everything you can, you never know when you might need it. 

Related Questions

Question Stats

5 followers
Asked a question 10 months ago
Views this month